The town hall was built in 1730 by city architect Hendrik Jacobs Norel in Louis XIV style. In 1756, the building located behind the new building, dating from the 16th century, was replaced by a new wing. The tower, which also dates back to that time, was retained. At the front the facade has a balcony and a gilded statue of Michael, the patron saint of the city of Harlingen. The statue was made by Gerbrandus van der Haven.
The town hall tower was largely renovated in 1933. After a fire in 1974, the tower was rebuilt in 1975. The tower has a facing brick (from the Westerkerk, which was demolished in 1896), with an image of the archangel Michael. There are bells from Jacob Noteman and Petrus Overney, among others.
In the mayor’s room is a chimney piece with a representation of Aeneas and Anchises. In one of the rooms – the old wedding room there are framed wall paintings with city views, painted by Nicolaas Baur. These paintings did not originally belong to the interior of the town hall, but originate from a dwelling in the city. In this room there is also an 18th-century chimney piece designed as a grisaille.